Breaking news -

0 ‘Doomsday Preppie’ the new buzzword?

Police, SWAT nab ‘doomsday preppie’

The world seemed to stand still for a few moments.
Every available Worthington police officer and the Columbus SWAT team surrounded the house at 661 Farrington Drive, and Thomas Worthington High School, just a block away, was under lockdown.
The only person who seemed unaware of the noontime drama Feb. 10 was 31-year-old Ryan Velie.
After receiving a call from Worthington Police Chief James Mosic, Velie exited the front door of the house and looked surprised. Yes, he had an arsenal set up inside, but he had no idea that someone had alerted the authorities.
Police took Velie into custody, turning him over to Netcare, a mental-health facility in Columbus. According to police, he later was taken to a state mental-health facility, where he remained on Feb. 14.
Worthington Police Lt. Mike Dougherty said Velie is a “doomsday preppie,” which is someone who stockpiles weapons, food, batteries and other necessities.
“They are stocking up for the ‘big one,’” Dougherty said.
Among Velie’s stash were eight to 10 guns, ranging from revolvers to rifles to an AK-4, which had a 40-round-capacity magazine that was locked and loaded, Dougherty said.
With that much ammunition, the gun is considered a machine gun and possession is considered a felony, he said.
The guns and ammunition were found in Velie’s bedroom and in the basement. Police also found stockpiles of batteries and several “go-bags” ready to put into use if needed.
Velie lives in the house with his mother, Sandy.
On the day of the incident, she reportedly became concerned because her son was wearing a gun in his waistband. She called Netcare to ask for help. He allegedly told Netcare workers that if anyone were to come to the house, he would shoot.
At 11:20 a.m., Netcare notified police, who went to the house, forced Sandy Velie to come out and called SWAT, which immediately set up around the perimeter.
The schools were notified, and Thomas Worthington, Evening Street Elementary, Linworth AP and Kilbourne Middle School went into lockdown mode.
“This was not going to turn out well if he decided to open up on everyone,” Dougherty said.
Everyone was glad when Velie came out peacefully.
“He didn’t know we were there,” Dougherty said.
Police confiscated all of the guns and ammunition, along with materials for making pipe bombs. Dougherty said he hopes Velie never gets them back.
“If he’s got mental issues, that will keep him from getting the guns again, legally,” he said. “But we all know how easy guns are to get.”
Velie grew up on Farrington Drive with his parents and two brothers. All three boys went to Thomas Worthington High School.
His father, Garwin P. “Butch” Velie, died May 17, 2010. He was well-known in the community, having run for the Worthington Board of Education when the boys were young.
Police said Sandy Velie was concerned about Ryan’s guns and bought a gun case and locked them up. He had been working to pry the case open since summer, police said.
Velie will be charged with at least one felony after he is released from the mental-health facility, Dougherty said.

No comments: