Iran’s UN envoy Mohammad Khazaee said on Wednesday that it was Israel that plotted and carried out a terrorist attack on an Israeli tourist bus in Bulgaria last week.
On July 18, a suicide bomber entered a bus with 40 Israeli tourists at a parking lot of the airport in the resort town of Burgas and blew himself up killing five Israelis and a Bulgarian driver and wounding over 30 people.
“Such terrorist operation could only be planned and carried out by the same regime whose short history is full of state terrorism operations and assassinations aimed implicating others for narrow political gains,” Khazaee said at a UN Security Council debates on the Middle East.
Soon after the terrorist attack Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu condemned the blast as “an Iranian terror attack” and promised to retaliate with tough measures.
“It's amazing that just a few minutes after the terrorist attack, Israeli officials announced that Iran was behind it,” Khazaee said adding that Iran would never engage “in such a despicable attempt on ... innocent people.”
According to earlier Bulgarian media reports, the suicide bomber could be a former inmate of the U.S. Guantanamo prison in Cuba, identified as identified 33-year-old Swedish citizen of Algerian origin Mehdi Ghezali.
- Iran Rejects Israeli Accusations over Bus Blast Links
- Ex-Guantanamo Prisoner Behind Bulgaria Blast – Media
- Israel Says Hezbollah or Hamas behind Bus Blast in Bulgaria
- Tourist Bus Explodes in Bulgaria, Casualties Reported